Resultat av: Portfolio theory and risk management, SF2942, HT 2016Status: Avslutad
Publicerad under: 2016-10-09 - 2016-11-28
Antal svar: 34
Procent av kursdeltagarna som svarat: 24%
Kontaktperson: Pierre Nyquist
Please indicate your reason(s) for taking this course (check all that apply).34 svarande
(på denna fråga var det möjligt att välja flera svarsalternativ)
|Requirement for concentration||16|| 47%|
|Elective within a concentration||14|| 41%|
|Elective outside concentration||4|| 11%|
|Interest in topic||14|| 41%|
Please indicate how often you attended class.34 svarande
|Less than half of the time||8|| 23%|
Please indicate the number of hours per week you spent on this course outside of class.34 svarande
Approximately how often did you attend TA recitation sessions or TA office hours?34 svarande
|Every week||10|| 29%|
|Every other week||3|| 8%|
|Only before exams||2|| 5%|
Please comment on your own learning in this course. What knowledge or skills did the course help you develop?- combining optimization with finance
- the lecture where strongly based on the book.
- Practical methods in portfolio theory and modeling techniques
- Kursen gav allmänbildning inom portföljteori och riskhantering, jag uppskattade att kursen var så pass bred.
- some interesting ideas about hedging i guess
- I received a good overview of portfolio management and hedging techniques in discrete time. The first problem showed me how to actually implement some of the things presented in the course. The calculation of the implied forward distribution were quite insightful.
- It was the first time I had a course in finance, so it was hard to understand but it was interesting. It helped me to learn to work harder
- The math in the course is quite easy (coming from engineering physics), so this course has more about understanding the concepts (as I haven't taken any financial courses before this).
- I learned best when I read the book and tried to do some of the exercises that been at previouse exams. Even if I thought this was going to be an interesting course it was not an obvious option for me to choose it since I'm not that good at probability. But I think that after this course I've been better at it and it helped me to learn basic probability better.
- Understanding concepts of financial mathematics
- Portfolio theory in general, as well as a broader perspective on mathematical modeling and financial mathematics.
- modeling economic problems, knowledge on financial instruments
- Deeper knowledge on the financial market
- I have learnt a lot during the course as I did not have any prior knowledge in portfolio theory or risk management. The course required heavy mathematical knowledge that was not always up-to-date for me.
- Good basic knowledge of portfolio and risk management, useful for further studies.
- Basic knowledge of finance instruments and how to optimize them.
- A general understanding of the concepts covered within the course. However, due to me being completely unable to attend classes or problem sessions, a more exhaustive span of examples and problems in the book would be appreciated.
- Gained a better understanding of specifically how optimization is used in portfolio theory. Learned the theoretical principles behind hedging strategies, and gained an understanding of how VaR and ES are computed and what they are used for.
- It gave me a lot
- Det har gett mig en bra grundinsikt i portföljhantering och riskvärdering att bygga vidare på.
- Optimizing portfolios with different perspectives/constraints
Risk measure like var and es. More usage of probability distributions like log-normal etc, Hedging strategies
Please indicate your evaluation of the effectiveness of the course overall.34 svarande
|Very effective||7|| 20%|
|Somewhat effective||8|| 23%|
|Very ineffective||0|| 0%|
Please elaborate on your responses above, or on anything else you wish to discuss about the course design and content.- Övningarna kunde vara mer effektiva och pedagogiska.
- The lectures have been quite fast-paced and the examples covered to illustrate the theory have not been very good, thus making them quite ineffective as regards to learning. The problem sessions have been ok, although the explanations of the solutions have not always been that clear. Overall, the number of exercises available, in the book, old exams and in problem sets, have been to few to really facilitate any deep learning.
- I would have liked more applied teaching session. I thought the course was verging on to theoretical, which made it hard for me (as a very visual person) to rellate to the information. It could have been nice to have one concrete example per chapter (e.g. a potrfolio trad off problem between an ericsson stock and H&M stock)
- Some examples are a bit overkill and takes a lot of time.
- Om Quantlab verkligen måste användas i denna kurs kan det vara bra att ha en schemalagd övningstimme med introduktion till programmet och frågestund (jag kanske missade att det var en sådan?).
- I definitely think that some of the financial instruments and/or insurance contracts could be explained more thoroughly. I sometimes had some trouble following the math because I simply hadn't heard of the specific contract.
- TA recitation sessions are when u can meet outside class? wasnt there. i was at the thursday morning sessions in class though
- Should have spent more time on chapter 5 and 6 in problem sessions.
- I wish that the exercises that you could do to get bonus points would be more like the exercises at the exam.
- The lectures were high speed, making it difficult to take notes and listening at the same time
- Very good course design, with a reasonable combination of theory and exercises.
- maybe the lectures are too closed to the textbook and at the beginning it is hard to follow if you don't have any knowledge in finance
- The course was very well structured with good lectures and exercises. I would have liked even more exercises and also written solutions to all exercises in the book. Sometimes it was a bit unclear what was needed for the exam, in terms of mathematical proofs or formulas from previous courses for example.
- There could definitely been more time allocated to showing how the theory works in practice. I felt at times the lectures were reciting the course book too much.
- Känner att jag saknade förberedande kunskaper.
- I would have wanted more practical application of portfolio theory on realistic/real scenarios and less abstract theory, if possible (perhaps difficult to make that happen...).
Please indicate your evaluation of the instructor's overall effectiveness.34 svarande
|Very effective||14|| 41%|
|Somewhat effective||3|| 8%|
|Very ineffective||0|| 0%|
Please elaborate on your responses above, or anything else you wish to discuss about the teaching in this course.- Väldigt bra föreläsningar.
- See above.
- Some examples are a bit overkill and takes a lot of time. Sometimes, too much focus is laid on easy parts whereas sometimes, more difficult calculations are skipped.
- Pierre är en utmärkt lärare! Han kan ämnet väl, är pedagogisk och framhäver den ekonomiska intuition bakom koncepten!
- The lectures were fairly good, though sometimes the instructor mumbled a little bit in order to keep everything correct. E.g. "This is the reason for X, acutally there is another reason for X, which is the reason for Y, but not in all cases of X, just when Z." etc. While technically not bad or wrong, it may have caused some confusion.
- The lecturer goes fast on the less important stuff, is clear in his explanations and sometimes requires the class participation, which is nice
- It was good. Maybe it should diverge a little more from the book, but maybe that would make it confusing? I prefer when lectures and course book dont go exactly hand in hand atleast but rahter as complimentaries to each other
- I think that the course was good but I would have wished that the exercises was a little bit better. They were confusing and I don't think that I learned a lot from them.
- I think the lectures were good and effective (covering the essentials from the book) but I believe focusing more on definitions rather than complex examples would simplify the learning
- Great lectures, very clear and concise. I would have attended all of them if I could, which I unfortunately did not.
- Very clear and structured. It was helpful to have the current information page if you missed a class.
- The teaching was excellent but since there was such a difference in difficulty of the theory vs the problem sessions (theory sessions were much more in depth) it was hard to apply knowledge to actual problem solving.
- Writes/talk a bit too fast during lectures.
- I didn't attend classes, I studied on my own. But that is because I prefer to do it that way (and I always do it that way), it's not a reflection of the instructors/teachers. I think Pierre was very helpful and pedagogical in the few interactions I had with him. Never interacted with Carl.
- Sometimes the tempo in lectures was a bit high, but otherwise good teaching
Please indicate your evaluation of the clarity of lectures.34 svarande
|Very good||13|| 38%|
|Not applicable||1|| 2%|
- Pierre är en av dem bästa föreläsarna jag har haft! (Excellent)
- Didactically the lectures were very good. (Excellent)
- I think the recaps were helpful (Very good)
- easy to ask questions (Very good)
- It went a bit fast sometimes, but afterwards reading the lecture notes it's all clear and pedagogic (Very good)
- Clear lectures but at times it felt like just rewriting the entire course book in own notes. A little too much writing and not quite enough calculations in my opinion. (Good)
- See above. (Satisfactory)
Please indicate your evaluation of the instructor's availability outside of class.34 svarande
|Very good||6|| 17%|
|Not applicable||7|| 20%|
- Pierre är väldigt hjälpsam, han är tillgänglig via mail och välkomnar besök på hans kontor. (Excellent)
- Always quick responses to emails (Excellent)
- Remarkably helpful, available and responsive instructors! Certainly made the course more pleasant and inspiring. (Excellent)
- the answers to my questions were always very clear (Excellent)
- Havent had any contact (Not applicable)
Would you recommend this instructor to other students?34 svarande
Please indicate your evaluation of the teaching assistant's (Carl Ringqvist) overall effectiveness.32 svarande
|Very effective||1|| 3%|
|Somewhat effective||17|| 53%|
|Very ineffective||2|| 6%|
Please indicate your evaluation of the clarity of the TA's explanations during office hours and recitations.34 svarande
|Very good||4|| 11%|
|Not applicable||9|| 26%|
Please elaborate on your responses above, or on anything else you wish to discuss about the TA's teaching.- Should be better prepared
- He could have had higher pace. Also he shouldve focused more on the reasoning on why to do things rather than showing how to do "math" things e.g. inverting a matrix or similar things.
- Sometimes the TA seemed a bit preoccupied/confused, but he really tried to make the exercise sessions as informative as possible and was eager to help the students understand the underlying concepts.
- Övningarna var inte särskilt hjälpsamma, ingen skillnad från att läsa facit själv. Verkade ofta oförberedd.
- Felt a bit unprepared some thursday mornings. I think it got better and better as the course progressed though. I didnt like when we went back to last weeks problems to discuss something for 20 minutes and then no time to do todays problems.
- I think the exercises were good, i think it is good to go through each example touroughly rather than rush the calculations
- sometimes he spends too much time on easy things while harder problems are not discussed
- A little more preparation before class could have been good at times. Mainly I think that more problem sessions should have been available to us, the amount of problem sessions was very minimal. Maybe dedicate a final session to going through an exam?
- Sometimes the answers were unclear and i believe once or twice, the questions posed by students were answered incorrectly.
- TA's seemed to be unprepared at the first recitation, the following reciations was better.
- Have no opinion on Carl, never spoke to or listened to him.
- Jag tycker att övningarna med Carl inte alls har varit bra. Han är för det mestadels oförberedd och skriver av lösningsförslaget utan att ge vidare förklaring mellan stegen i en lösning. Han är otydlig med problemformulering och lösning. Det är svårt att veta om han har börjat lösa talet eller fortfarande skriver upp problemet.
Please indicate your evaluation of the TA's availability.34 svarande
|Very good||8|| 23%|
|Not applicable||15|| 44%|
Would you recommend this TA to other students?33 svarande
Please add any final thoughts you might have about the course.- Good and interesting, however would have liked more applied examples
- Overall an interesting course, although I think some of the financial jargon could be explained a little clearer for the uninitiated.
- Bästa kursen på länge! Intressanta och givande föreläsningar med bra upplägg. Tydligt, effektivt och relevant.
- I am aware, that the course should partially serve as a preparation for the "Riskmanagement" course, but in terms of topic, I would personally find it more fitting, to leave out the chapter on "Risk measurement prnciples". Instead, maybe a short introduction into hedging in continuous time and/or stochastic control theory (maybe just 3 lectures with) would tie in a bit better with the "Portfolio management" part.
Regarding problem set 2: I am grateful, that the task was not too extensive, given the slight delays, but I would have hoped to be required to do a bit more than sorting entries in a vector. It was nice to work with real data, but the fact that everything was already implemented and (more or less)predefined, left me with a kind of "empty" feeling as this can great opportunity to implement things over different programs and get a glimpse into more realistic "problem solving".
In general, I think the course was very well taught and delivered also content wise.
- nice course, see you in the risk course
- Excellent lectures, great support, and a fantastic course book (Hult et al.).
- second homework was interesting !