Resultat av: Financial mathematics at KTHStatus: Avslutad
Publicerad under: 2012-01-05 - 2013-02-22
Antal svar: 5
Procent av kursdeltagarna som svarat: ?%
Kontaktperson: Filip Lindskog
What is your opinion on the education in financial mathematics offered by the division of mathematical statistics?- It is generally good. The financial derivatives course and the risk management, in particular, are excellent.
I think that there is a lack in the more mathematical part of financial mathematics. I have especially seen many excellent theses from Uppsala which treated topics which would be very difficult for a student to learn here at KTH, especially relating to American options.
- Bra! Intressant och roligt!
- Good in general
- I'm very pleased with the program in financial mathematics offered at KTH. My background is in engineering physics and I am very happy to have chosen a master in financial mathematics.
- OK, men utbildning borde vara mer pedagogisk
What would you add or change to facilitate better learning?- A better course literature in continuation course in portfolio theory would be good. A second course in financial derivatives which treated American options would also be nice.
- Fler räkneövningar kanske. Mer relevant material till tentan.
- I usually don't attend non-mandatory classes or lectures, but overall the course literature has been great. I especially like Harald Lang's notes used in the introductory course in financial mathematics, Rudin's book used in the foundations of analysis and Gut's book used in the probability theory course. Perhaps Øksendal's book could be introduced in the martingale course.
- Det är många som klagar på kursen finansiella derivata (FD), om hur opedagogisk är att lära sig massa resultat från en bok som har cirka 900 sidor. När andra kurser har formellsampling (eller ”riskkursen” som tillåter använda boken på tentan) så har FD inte någon liknande, inte ens räknadosa får man använda. Det går inte att härleda varandra saker man använder ty det finns inte tid för det under tentan. Det skulle vara bra om man kan ha en formellsampling (FS) på tentan, med vissa resultat som man ser på boken. En FS som ”matstat” kan skriva utan någon förklaring och det är upp till studenter att förstå dessa ekvationer (ty de finns på boken) samt kunna använda eller härleda dessa resultat som finns på FS.
Med vänlig hälsning
What topics would do you feel that we should focus more on?- American options. Some opportunity for students to learn more stochastic calculus so that it connects to the rest of mathematics and doesn't just become a tool for options pricing (but this is more like something which would be nice, I'm not sure that it's appropriate, or about how difficult this is though, or how many students would actually take it).
- It's good.
- Application of mathematics in the REAL financial markets. Most of the topics covered in financial math courses at KTH may be good. But there is a significant lack of focus on reality. For example I don't believe any of the students have even seen real tick data from the stock market, let alone woked with it. Or even have any idea where one might acquire such data.
Another thing that is missing is programming skills. There are no compulsory courses on C/C++ programming at all. One can infact graduate as a financial engineer from KTH without writing one line of code in C/C++. Of course you could take such courses by yourself, but then it would lack a focus on finance.
- Don't know.
Which course/courses is/are best? Which course/courses needs/need to be improved and how?- I have very much appreciated the financial derivatives course, the risk management course and the stochastic calculus course. I have also liked the course in the Mathematical Theory of Options Pricing (although it was not offered by mathematical statistics).
I would somewhat like more proofs in the risk management and portfolio theory courses, for example the Fisher–Tippett–Gnedenko theorem would have been nice in the context of POT analysis, but given the practical nature of both courses this might be inappropriate.
In the continuation course in portfolio theory there are however serious defects, primarily in the course literature, which does not cover the material in the course and contains serious errors and omissions. It also has a problem with exams that are extremely similar to exams from previous years, to the degree that students with access to those exams can (and do) solve all the problems in little more than an hour.
It needs a course literature which actually teaches the topics in the course and which has rigour, so that there can be a real exam in it, instead of what we have now.
- Financial maths. Haven't taken the other courses.
- no comment
- Best: probability theory, financial derivatives and risk management.
Room for improvement: portfolio theory and risk management - increase the theoretical requirements and put less emphasis on computations!
- finansiella derivata (FD) bör förbättras pedagogisk. Ni behöver inte ändra kurs kod eller liknande, bara det som skrivs här under:
Det är många som klagar på kursen finansiella derivata (FD), om hur opedagogisk är att lära sig massa resultat från en bok som har cirka 900 sidor. När andra kurser har formellsampling (eller ”riskkursen” som tillåter använda boken på tentan) så har FD inte någon liknande, inte ens räknadosa får man använda. Det går inte att härleda varandra saker man använder ty det finns inte tid för det under tentan. Det skulle vara bra om man kan ha en formellsampling (FS) på tentan, med vissa resultat som man ser på boken. En FS som ”matstat” kan skriva utan någon förklaring och det är upp till studenter att förstå dessa ekvationer (ty de finns på boken) samt kunna använda eller härleda dessa resultat som finns på FS.
Why do you study financial mathematics?- Because the practice of it is vaguely mysterious and I was curious to see how it worked in the industry (and since I want to work with mathematics, but finding new interesting conjectures and proving them, or proving old ones is very difficult).
- I was tired of physics and it is one of the better " inriktningarna" at KTH. The teachers are young which is preferable.
- Because I like math and programming and want to make as much money as possible.
- I like the topics taught in the program. In addition, my feeling is that the program offers excellent preparation for working front office at a bank with things other than sales or research, back/middle office with risk issues or with quantitative stuff at an insurance company.
- För att förstå FM men också för jobb skull.
Further comments?- No.
- I would have liked to take numerical methods for stochastic differential equations during the spring 2011, but it is only given every other year.
- Var god se ovan