Resultat av: Enuerative Combinatorics, SF2741, HT2014Status: Avslutad
Publicerad under: 2014-12-19 - 2015-04-02
Antal svar: 10
Procent av kursdeltagarna som svarat: 41%
Kontaktperson: Svante Linusson
Did you have enough prerequisites?10 svarande
|Yes, clearly||8|| 80%|
|Yes, mostly||2|| 20%|
|No, not really||0|| 0%|
|No, far from it||0|| 0%|
What is your opinion on the mathematical contents of this course? Interesting? Difficult? Some topic that should be added/removed?- Spännande och kul kurs, sista bitarna var lite kluriga framförallt allting med polynom
- Both interesting and quite difficult
- Interesting and fun. However I think the homeworks should have included 6 problems instead of 8 and that the exam should have been last (in january)
- Very interesting and fun. Quite difficult
- Interesting, but a little too scattered.
- I liked the content and found it to be very interesting. Some parts were slightly difficult to understand them the first time, but overall everything was doable. A more detailed introduction into simplicial complexes would be nice.
- Difficult but interesting.
What is your opinion on the focus of the course?10 svarande
(på denna fråga var det möjligt att välja flera svarsalternativ)
|To much proofs||0|| 0%|
|The proofs should have been described more in detail.||0|| 0%|
|To much problem solving||1|| 10%|
|To little problem solving||2|| 20%|
|It was ok||7|| 70%|
- Or rather; the time needed for homeworks+review+exam is *way* more than what it should be for a 7.5hp course. Either radically reduce the number of problems or remove some other part of the examination.
What is the main new knowledge you gained from this course?- Bijectioner, räkna saker, allmän kunskap om kombinatorik
- That I found out that I don't specialize in this field after all. While I found all the subject matter interesting, everything seemed like a "loose collection" of assorted results without a bigger picture. I expected more "applied" subject matter, as I very often came across enum. Comb. Problems in programming.
- Posets and bijections
- Knowledge about posets, Möbius functions, arrangements, Catalan numbers
- How to count things properly. Posets and Möbius functions
- Knowledge about lattices.
- Nearly everything from the first part about permutations.Also the rook polynomial, Lindström's lemma, the möbius algebra of a lattice, simplicial complex, hyperplane arrangement, catalan numbers, order polynomials and P-Eulerian polynomials
Was the book good?9 svarande
|Yes, mostly||8|| 88%|
|No, not really||0|| 0%|
|Absolutely not||0|| 0%|
- didnt use the book (?)
- Hard to read at times, but very good and thorough. Stanley presents the matter in a very interesting way, however I sometimes found it hard to look up something in the nook. Maybe recap pages after each chapter would have helped. (Yes, mostly)
- Sometimes, difficult to tell important information from the less important, but overall a good read. (Yes, mostly)
- It was good but difficult. (Yes, mostly)
What do you think of the extra handouts the last three lectures?- Valuable resource.
- They were good
- They were good.
- They were interesting, but it seems unnecessary to add so much material. The book covers a lot already, and remember that this is 7.5 hp.
- The are well-written and understandable.
- They were good but it would have been nice if they all had been available on the homepage.
What is your opinion of the lectures?10 svarande
|Very good!||2|| 20%|
|Really bad||0|| 0%|
- Svantes var bra, Petters skulle kunna livas upp lite mer (Good)
- Please get tables in the future. (Good)
- I prefer reading on my own (Ok)
What is your opinion of the choice of hand-in-problems?10 svarande
|Very good!||0|| 0%|
|Very poor||0|| 0%|
- Problem session 2 was too hard and i think the sheets should have contained 6 problems instead of 8 (Good)
- The problems were rather hard and took much time to solve. That would be ok, if it were not so many questions. (Neutral)
What is your opinion of the level of difficulty of the hand-in-problems?10 svarande
|Way to difficult||1|| 10%|
|Somewhat to difficult||5|| 50%|
|Somewhat to easy||0|| 0%|
|Way to easy||0|| 0%|
- As previously mentioned, the hand-in-problems takes more time than they should for a 7.5hp course. So either one should reduce the number of problems or their difficulity. (Obviously my opinion). (Way to difficult)
- Like I said above, that is ok, but there were to many hard problems. if you were not rquired to solve all of them it would be more reasonable. (Somewhat to difficult)
- Quite difficult, but challenging is fun (Reasonable)
- Hand-in-problems 2 were too lengthy (Reasonable)
What is your opinion of the review project? Please comment.- Helt okej, svårt med att skriva review. Bra att få se hur artiklar kan se ut.
- Good idea. Making us read articles thoroughly is very helpful at our level of knowledge. Also being able to discuss the article in a group of students with somewhat different backgrounds was very informative.
- Interesting and fun. A good way to practice reading articles.
- It was ok
- I think it is mean to have the presentation two days before the exam!
Also, it it a little hard to know if an article is interesting and imortant or not. We are not reaserchers in combinatorics yet.
- Not the most fun part of the course. More social training than math, but I guess that's important to
- A nice idea.
- It is a nice idea to write such a report in a group. But I think it would have been better if that project happened in the middle of the course, and not in the same week as the final exam!!
- It was good.
What is your opinion on the exam? Did it reflect what you expected?- Svårt att plugga inför tentan då kursen är väldigt bred men den tog inte med något oväntat.
- Didn't take it.
- No, should have been less focus on memorization
- the 3 last questions were to hard
- The questions were like I expected, nothing to say about that. But there was a lot of material to go though when studying for the exam.
- Ok, even though as with any exam which is called "theoretical" it seems more about memorizing details from the course rather than anything else, which is annoying because it takes a lot of time and is quite useless.
- Yes, it did. But there was one question where you did have to remember the definition of a meet-irreducible element in a poset. I think that it is better to give the definition and then ask a harder question. Otherwise, you have to focus on remembering stuff rather than being good at combinatorics.
- I think the practice exam came way too late. It was not evident until one week before the exam what we should know.
- The exam was very OK. Compared to the practice exam, the real exam was as I expected it to be.
- It was very difficult, much harder than I expected.
More comments or reflections?- All in all a very good and nice coarse :)
- So my point is: This course took way more time than it should! And it is note even over yet. Remember that it is 7.5 hp, which is 25% of one semester.
- Reiterating what I previously have mentioned because I feel strongly that it is the case: students are required to spend much more time on the course than is reflected by the amount of credits you get.
- Please fix the grading at the beginning of the course, and do not change it over time.
- The exam and together with the hand-in problems and review assignment made the course much more time-consuming and difficult than other courses.