Resultat av: Time Series Analysis, SF2943, Spring 2015Status: Avslutad
Publicerad under: 2015-05-20 - 2015-06-08
Antal svar: 10
Procent av kursdeltagarna som svarat: 12%
Kontaktperson: Filip Lindskog
Did the course match your expectation? Have you learnt much? - yes, very good couse for understanding applied time series.
- Jag vet inte riktigt vad jag förväntade mig men jag tycker att krusinnehållet var intressant och relevant för min utbildning.
- Yes, interesting topic and a good course structure to learn the material.
- Yes and yes. I am happy with the course.
- Yes, since I had no prior knowledge about time series concepts, the learning was immense. It absolutely matched my expectation.
- I had very few expectations, however, the course exceeded those expectations. The course brings up ways of analyzing statistical data not discussed in other courses, at least not in courses I have participated in.
- Yes, it pretty much did. I learned a lot and got a good knowledge of the basic ARMA-concept.
- More or less.
- It did not. My expectations were quite high, however, the project was handled in such a bad way that the feeling I will have from it is almost only bad. This is sad, because I quite like the subject.
What is your opinion on the design and relevance of the project work?- I think the project was good. A bit hard when it was given to us since all theory for some questions had not been treated yet in the course but relevant problems that were exciting to solve.
- Ganska omfattande projekt för "endast" 3HP, men man lärde sig mycket och jag antar att det har sparat in en del tentaplugg.
- The project was interesting and provided good exercises to learn the material. The amount of problems and subproblems due at the same deadline did however not encourage much extra considerations since there was anyways a lot of problems to work through. If the project would have been split up into two deadlines (still providing all problems at the beginning of the course) I think that the reports had been better and that we would have enjoyed/reflected on the individual problems more. The number of problems I think was fair. I also think that the grading of the projects could have been done in a different way, since hard work for an extensive project still could result in no or few extra points which is a disappointment. It is always nice to get some comments on something you have worked intensively on.
- The project is an important part of the course and it helped to increase understanding and gave some hands-on experience. Unfortunately I was not able to attend any project discussion seminars.
- The course project was interesting. I would suggest better group interactions/ interaction with the professor on the project work- more guidance to make sure we are going about it the right way. It presents an immense opportunity and should be utilized to maximum extent.
- Having a project work in course is something good. The project could be developed by giving it an professional perspective. For example, present a scenario where someone, say a company, who knows little of time series analysis asks you to solve a certain problem for them.
- I think they were good. However the requirements and criteria for achieving bonus points was very diffuse. Also it was quite difficult to understand the level of detail the assignments were supposed to be reported in. The instructions said clear and concise, yet some groups who got 10 bonus points had excessively long reports.
- Highly relevant and very good for learning the basics.
- Too extensive for a 7.5 Point course, parallell Courses were neglected since it demanded so much time. Other than that it was very educative.
- The project provided good insight to the subject, and it was relevant to the course. HOWEVER, the grading and feedback of the projects were VERY BAD.
Firstly, since it is such a big project, to think that it has been properly graded after 1 weekend is delusional. There were NO FEEDBACK for projects with lower grades. HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT IS GOOD/NOT GOOD IF THERE ARE NO FEEDBACK?!? If the projects are too big to grade yourself over the course of one weekend, either get help from other people, give it more time, or do not make it such a big project.
Furthermore, it felt like only the beginning of the projects were read. Reading the "excellent report" on the course page really strengthens this claim, as the 4th problem, at least in my opinion, is not very well reasearched and written.
You have iterated that we should be precise, clear and concise in how we formulate and write the project. However, you have not been clear in what you want, and how you grade it. If you cannot formulate what you want, then how the f*#k should we know how to be that??!!!
The project is a nice idea, however, it was carried out in a very bad way.
What was the highlight? What would you change to improve the course?- The highlight was to learn how to predict future outcomes of time series. I think that will be very good knowledge in the future for me.
- Korta ned projektet och införa övnings-tillfällen, liknande som vi har i de flesta andra mattekurser. Filip skulle ju kunna anställa en doktorand eller något som extralärare.
- Project presentation seminar, interesting to hear how others had solved the problems.
- Something to improve: the preliminary course plan was not well kept, so it was hard to read up on missed lectures.
- I was lost during the lectures when things went into details. Maybe I was not able to follow up with my reading. While preparing I realized if I had solved the exercise problems in the book along with the lectures, I would have been able to follow the lectures in a better way. Include some tutorials in between the lectures or guidance on solving the problems may be a good idea.
- The highlight was definitely the project, it was the one important moment of the course. Having the multiple choise questions before the project was a good idea and probably brought everyone up to speed, however, the questions included material not yet covered in the lectures, which was not as good.
- I really enjoyed multivariate series, best linear predictors and ARMA models in general.
- I really liked the whole course. I cannot think of anything in particular that I would like to change.
- It was hard to know whether to focuse on theory or interpretation. The exam was very theoretical, which was a Little unexpected for many students, I think.
- Do not mention that you find a certain part of the subject 'very boring'. It is not very motivating going to lectures where you hear that it's not very interesting. It's very easy to stop listening when hearing that.
I would have liked a more theoretical approach to the course. It felt like it was a mix between theory and applied, and rather than doing the parts well, they felt a bit superficial and lacking the necessary depth to understand each part.
In general, it felt like there was very little 'line of thought' in the course planning. A more methodical approach, where the next step uses the previous would be better.
Further comments or suggestions?- -
- Kanske förbereda lektionerna lite bättre ibland, vissa koncept är rätt svåra att förstå till en början (tycker jag) och då vore det bra med en riktigt tydligt upplägg.
- Enjoyed the course, it was well structured and interesting.
- I would have preferred to have the project as weekly homeworks instead, but maybe that's just me.
- Was a pleasure taking the course. Was dreading the decision to take it just before the exam since I felt I cannot pass but after the exam I feel it was worth it.
- More precise criteria for bonus points and detail level in reports.
- Either the Project work or the exam would be enough for the 7.5 Points.
- Please have notes and follow them during the lectures, as it is not very giving to sit and listen while you try to find what error you've made.